Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Fun Day in New York City

This past weekend, I went to Manhattan. My friend and I drove into the city, instead of taking the train. We took a bridge that cost no money to cross, called the 59th Street bridge. It was scary because we drove on the outside of the bridge, instead of through it. It was exciting though. Once we were in the city, we drove through Times Square. It was scary because there were so many people walking around sightseeing.  We went to a very fancy restaurant for brunch where they had people come around and dance while you ate. It was amazing! After brunch, we walked around Chelsea Piers. It was a gorgeous day outside to walk down by the water. We met some military men who told us all about the boat we were looking at. We then went shopping at some very small boutiques and then drove home. It was a very fun day!

Vocabulary :
Manhattan: The island that New York City is located on
Bridge: a road which connects 2 pieces of land over water
Times Square: A place in New York City with a lot of people and Broadway shows
Sightseeing: Looking at different places
Brunch: A combination of breakfast and lunch
Military: People who are in the army
Boutiques: Small shops

Vocabulary game: Fill in the blank

People who serve our country are in the ___________________.
In _______________ I can go shopping and see my favorite tv characters.
When I go ________________, I take pictures of all of the things I have never seen before.
_______________ is a meal where I can have eggs or a sandwich.
I think that _____________ have better clothing than big shops.
________________ is another name for New York City.
To get off of Long Island, I need to cross two _______________.

Grammar Point
Question Marks

A question mark is used at the end of a sentence to show the asking of a question.
Some words that give us clues to when a question mark should be used are WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, HOW.

Example: When are we going to the movies
                 How are you doing?

Place the correct punctuation in the sentence. 

How do you get to the supermarket

All of the Disney movies are my favorite

Where do you think the cat is hiding

Who is the story about

The room is painted yellow

What do you like to do on the weekends



3 comments:

  1. Well that sounds like a very fun day! What was the name of the restaurant that you went to? It sounds like my kind of restaurant lol

    Also, I love the grammar point that you chose and the exercise that follows. A lot of ESL students definitely struggle with knowing when to use question marks versus other forms of punctuation. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very glad that you had such a fun day. There is always something exciting to do in Manhattan. I like your vocabulary and grammar point. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana,

    I am happy to hear that you enjoyed a day in Manhattan. Personally, I love the city and I loved the vocabulary words you chose to explain. Your activity was clear and engaging. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete